It’s time to get moving! Being physically fit doesn’t have to be boring. The five fitness tips below will inspire you to get fit, stay strong and have fun along the way:
1. Fitness = Fun
Think beyond your routine workout. Use your imagination and see fitness everywhere. Here are some other tips to make things even more interesting:
- Get your family involved. It’s always more fun when you have an exercise partner. Set a goal and try a new activity each day.
- Grab a friend and go! Enlist a friend—or several—and play tug-of-war, hop scotch or ‘Simon Says’.
- Set a routine. Getting into a routine helps you maintain activity: take an afternoon bike ride or take a walk after dinner every day.
- Set up a friendly competition. Challenges make you stronger. Set up a ropes course or do relay races. Get creative!
2. Break a Sweat!
Breaking a sweat in Texas is not all that hard to do, but you should stay moving for at least one hour each day. Why not try one of these ideas:
- Join a team sport, like soccer or basketball. Many of Dallas’s Park and Rec Centers offer affordable group sports. Find one near you!
- Sign up for a class. Dallas Park and Rec Centers also offer classes like gymnastics, karate, swimming and much more!
- Play in the neighborhood. Childhood fun & games like riding bikes, playing tag or pick-up football are all great ways to stay active.
3. Build Strong Muscles and Bones
At least 3 days per week, work in activities that will help build your muscles and bones:
- Climb a tree.
- Swing on a swing set.
- Hop and jump.
4. Limit screen time.
Practice switching gears: after every hour of screen time, take a break, flip the switch and get moving!
5. Set Goals and Reward Yourself.
Set goals for yourself, but start small and reward yourself. Be creative! For example, set a goal to play outside for one hour each day for a week. When you’ve accomplish that, reward yourself with something special like going to the park with your family or taking a trip to a museum or the zoo. To keep you motivated, sign up for MyFi Challenges, enter your accomplishments and earn points and rewards for all of your hard work!